Thursday, June 14, 2012

What a Difference a Day Makes

Yesterday I started walking again. Yesterday I felt better than I have in a week...since the doctor told me to stop walking for awhile. This morning I walked again. I am modifying the steps. He said I shouldn't be lifting my legs so I don't do the knee lifts, but I do the steps and the kicks and the arm work. And I feel good. It took three weeks to build up the endurance and there was no way I was going to let it all go to the wayside and have to start over again.

I was less hungry all day. I felt motivated. Everything you read about exercise becoming an addiction is true. I never would have believed that a 45 minute 3 mile walk could make such a difference in the way I feel. The PT told me that I have to keep moving and that I need to do light lifting....low weight, more reps. I can start to see some definition in my shoulder area and arms.

I have come to believe that attitude makes all the difference. You have to want it and you have to believe it. I can do this. I am a happier person now that I am on the good health track. And I'm really happy that I'm getting my husband to join me. He is taking small steps, but it's already making a difference for him. He has cut way back on his caffiene intake. He is eating way more veggies and fruits, and he's cut way back on his fats and salts. I can see his face slimming down and his stomach starting to shrink. He's been at this for 3 weeks and he's lost about 15 pounds. The biggest plus for him is that he has started going to the Y and working out in the pool.

Another tip that I make sure I stick to religiously is to increase the fiber intake. The more fiber a food item has the better it is for you. You can eat a higher calorie food as long as there is a high fiber percentage. Fiber helps to burn off the calories quicker. It helps rev up the digestion process. I don't waste calories on low fiber foods.

For example, I used to think eating salads was so good for me, but I didn't pay attention to what was in the salad. A bowl full of lettuce really has very little nutritional value, especially if the choice of lettuce is mostly water based. Now, I make my salad out of all the crunchy fiber filled veggies and leave out the lettuce. Tonight's dinner will be grilled talapia, a baked potato with Greek yogurt, and the salad pictured below.



Ingredients:

broccoli
cauliflower
baby carrots
celery tops
red peppers
sunflower seeds
feta cheese
olive oil, red wine vinegar                                                                   






No comments:

Post a Comment